Thursday, August 4, 2011

Final thoughts on the July 22, 2011 Revolutionary in New York event

Looking back on the event, the one regret I have is that I wish that I said more about Su Beng’s current involvement and contributions to the Taiwan independence movement. I also wish that I had taken the opportunity to say something more about Su Beng’s Taiwan Independence Action (TIA) motorcade when I was explaining the video footage from April 26.




Photos courtesy of: Bin Hong

The TIA is notable not just because its members were involved in orchestrating the high-speed chase of Lien Chan on April 26, 2005, nor because the TIA also regularly makes its rounds every Saturday and Sunday in three major cities in Taiwan. The TIA motorcade is a symbol of Su Beng’s continued involvement in major demonstrations and mass movements the Taiwan over the years. The TIA has been present on:

February 28, 2011 to commemorate 64 years since the 2-28 massacre in which an estimated 20,000 Taiwanese were murdered

May 20, 2010 to participate in a demonstration calling for a referendum on the free trade act between Taiwan and China (aka the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement)

December 2009 in protest of the cross-strait talks being held between Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤), Chairman of the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF), and Chen Yunlin (陳雲林), Chairman of the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS)

May 2009 in a month long month-long march with the Alliance of Referendum for Taiwan

I suppose that as Su Beng’s biographer, I have a tendency to focus on his past. But clearly, Su Beng is not slowing down. Just take a look at his scheduled appearances during what I’ve called “Su Beng's 2011 US Tour: reconnecting with Taiwanese America.” Not only does he remain actively involved in Taiwan’s social movements but if you talk to him you’ll discover that he’s also very up on current events.

Finally, a few acknowledgments:

I’d like to thank every one of my wonderful friends who volunteered out at the event or helped in some way to make this event happen! I really couldn’t have done it without any of you. Because of your support, I was able to pull it all off and people got a chance to hear Su Beng talk about some of his life experiences and views on Taiwan.

Special thanks to the Formosan Association of Public Affairs, Young Professional Group of New Jersey and New York for providing refreshments at the event and organizing the afterevent social gathering at La Lanterna.

A heartfelt thanks to all those who attended! This event and all the work that I am doing would be meaningless without an audience. You all braved the heat that day to make it to the event where unfortunately, the conditions indoors were almost equally hot and humid.

Political views aside, I do hope that some people in the audience were perhaps inspired by this man’s tenacity.


Photo credit: Corky Lee

No comments: